Static Bark Collars
Shop our range of static bark collars in Australia
Excessive barking can be a serious problem that can negatively impact a dog's health and well-being and the quality of life of its owners and neighbours. To address the underlying causes of excessive barking, seeking the help of a professional dog trainer or veterinarian is highly recommended.
Looking for safe, reliable and effective static bark collars? At DogMaster Trainers, we offer Australia’s largest independent distributor of quality dog training products, has led the industry with knowledge and quality service for over 20 years. Beyond static correction collars, we also offer citronella spray collars, vibration collars and ultrasonic bark deterrents. Shop today!
What is a static bark collar?
Static bark collars are devices designed to help control excessive barking in dogs. The idea behind these collars is to help stop excessive barking by providing a negative consequence when they bark unnecessarily. Static correction bark collars typically deliver a small static stimulation, but some may offer vibration options to use for warnings only.
The principles of classical conditioning suggest that behaviour can be altered by linking it to a specific stimulus. In this scenario, the stimulus is the static stimulation or vibration administered by the static correction collar, and the behaviour in question is the dog's excessive barking. Over time, the dog is supposed to learn that barking results in an uncomfortable or unpleasant experience.
While static dog collars can be effective in some cases, they are not appropriate for all dogs and should only be used under the guidance of a professional dog trainer or veterinarian.
How do you use a static bark collar?
To ensure that it is used safely and effectively, follow these general steps when using a static correction collar:
- Choose the right collar — Select a static correction collar appropriate for your pet's size and weight, and ensure that it fits properly without being uncomfortable for your pet.
- Introduce the collar gradually — Allow your dog to gradually get used to the static correction bark collar by putting it on for short periods each day. This will help your dog become accustomed to the device and reduce the likelihood of being startled when activated.
- Test the collar before using — Turn on the static correction collar and test it on yourself or a family member first to ensure it works correctly. Adjust the level of shock or vibration to the lowest setting. Check out our static bark collar testing tutorials by our highly-trained DogMaster Trainers on our website.
- Monitor your dog — Put the collar on your dog and monitor its behaviour. The device should only activate when your dog barks excessively. If your dog barks for legitimate reasons (e.g., warning you of an intruder), the static correction collar should not activate.
- Reward good behaviour — Praise your dog and provide rewards when it behaves well and doesn't bark excessively. This positive reinforcement will help encourage good behaviour and contribute to successful training.
- Adjust the settings — If the collar is not working or your dog is experiencing discomfort, adjust the settings accordingly. Strictly follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the device only as directed.